“To create is to live twice”
–Albert Camus (The Myth of Sisyphus)
Art Therapy is an incredible process that involves working with emotions, feelings, and behaviors while engaging with art. The process is different for every individual; however, often sessions will involve talking about difficult feelings or emotions while creating art.
Sometimes I will direct sessions and ask you to create something specific, maybe a tree, or a house. Other times you may come in wanting to create something specific. Sometimes we will discuss art you have done outside of session.
Often we can understand art in the same way we understand dreams, by looking at the objective and subjective symbols, the emotions associated with specifics areas of the art, and through dialogue with the art itself. I will never tell you what your art means or is trying to communicate. Instead, I will help guide you to your own understanding through helping you dialogue with your art work and through asking certain questions.
All art supplies is provided and generally includes access to: watercolours, pencils, pens, markers, coloured pencils, pastels, and a variety of different types of paper.
Why is art therapy so powerful?
- Art is meta-verbal. It is its own language.
- Art sparks creative thinking and creative problem solving.
- Art gives us a physical and visual representation of our mental state.
- Art allows us to play!
- Art allows us to imagine.
- Art is deeply personal. What we create is unique and irreplicable.
- Art is safe and allows for a safe space in which to explore the Self.
- Working with art increases confidence.
- Working with art can help ease anxiety.
Interested in Art Therapy? I would be happy to discuss how we might work together!
Send me an email at email@example.com or feel free to call me at 604-355-2632